Friday 13 May 2016

Cast Interviews: Craig Fox


In the fourth of our Follow The Crows cast and crew interviews actor Craig Fox is put under the spotlight.

Through these interviews we hope to give you a more in-depth look at the process of making a film, and just what our cast and crew thought of said process.

What character are you playing?

He is cold and calculating, but not without a twisted sense of humor. I'm playing the role of Trapper #1, and while they're never mentioned by name within the film it's fairly obvious who and what they are when you see them. Essentially my character is part of a duo who have seen the harshness of the reality within this wasteland world, and they're doing their best to survive. Largely by sticking to a... preferred skillset.

How did you prepare for the character?

The Trapper characters really do rely heavily on their own unique personality traits, as well as their interactions between each other, they're kind of like two brothers who have grown up together. Loathing yet depending on each other. So, during rehearsals myself and Matt (Mordak, Trapper #2) emphasized these characteristics and transformed them into rather clear traits. We also, somehow, ended up staying in character outside of rehearsals... may have scared a few members of the public unintentionally, if so, I'm sorry... Individually I drew largely on the serious side of my personality. I also worked on my body language in order to reflect the personality traits of the character, and took on a deep African accent for the purpose of adding contrast between the two characters.

What can you tell us about the plot?

Well, all the information about the plot has been compartmentalized by the director and the producer, this way we know a lot about our roles and our scenes but we don't entirely know about everyone elses. I find this really interesting. I actually quite like this approach, I anticipate watching how my piece of the puzzle fits together with the rest. Theory wise, it's clear that the whole world has fallen to ruin, this must be the case otherwise we would probably be seeing aid shelters and all sorts. In order for this type of situation to arise all government must have been completely destroyed, there's no authority bar the rule of gangs who would have initially come together for survival. But, as human nature kicks in, these gangs will have started to work for dominance and power rather than just survival. In a lawless world this means by any means necessary. this will be a world where innocence is just a myth, a white unicorn that people talk about in jokes and stories of times that, compared to this reality, are just too much of a stretch for the imagination. All anyone really care about is the question "how do I eat today?".

How have you found working on Follow The Crows?

I loved every minute of it!!! I loved working with my co-star, Matthew Mordak, the dynamic between us had truly aided in our character development, and leads to an onscreen, and off screen, humor. The worst part of it all didn't actually occur to me until after I was home... it took a very long time to get all that dirt off (laughs), but it was definitely worth it.

How would you survive in a post-apocalyptic wasteland?

With a trap (laughs)! But seriously, I do love working out hypothetical scenarios. First I'd need shelter, yes food and water is critical to survival, but if you are exposed to the elements, predators and people then you're not going to survive long anyway. This is also necessary to safeguard your supplies while you perform activities, such as hunting or gathering water and wood. Secondly, weapons. Primarily these would be to aid in my hunting for food, but ultimately, in this scenario, people pose a significant threat... how can you tell friend from foe? What do you do if you guess wrong? Thirdly, once you've established a base of operations, a means to hunt and defend yourself and a way to get water, the "now" is pretty sorted. I'd then look at further preparations, finding or making maps to mark out points of interest would be useful. In any survival situation having an understanding of your environment and its geography will give you a subtle, but very strong, advantage. This is all assuming I'd be on my own, of course. But if I had a survival buddy I'd stick to the plan, only it'd all happen twice as fast... hopefully.

No comments:

Post a Comment