Wednesday 6 January 2016

Cast Interviews: Ashley Robson

Photograph by James Watts of JWatts Video & Photography
In the first of a series of interviews with the cast and crew of Follow The Crows, actor Ashley Robson (Siren, The People) is put under the spotlight.

Through these interviews we hope to give you a more in-depth look at the process of making a film, and just what our cast and crew thought of our process.

What character are you playing?

I play Number Three, a character that is very much a mystery to me, as Alex (Secker, the director) has kept the plot very much under wraps from most of the cast and crew. What I can tell you is that my character opens the movie, which is exciting for me, and also makes a very brief appearance, which is an understatement!

How did you prepare for the character?

Knowing very little about my character meant the only thing I could do was ask Alex for pointers. He explained that my character was on the run from an enemy in an apocalyptic wasteland. As my character then falls down, I must show pain which turns to extreme fear asa gun is then pointed at my face. Almost as if I am faced with a fire-breathing Dragon, as in this apocalyptic world Alex is creating, a gun, such as the one the killer shoves in my face is, very much like gold dust and as every bit as mythological, deadly and horrifying as a dragon would be. With regards to falling in pain, I can tell you, depending on the cut they use in the editing room, there was one take where I fell and bashed my knee hard on a stone in the ground. It hurt like a motherfucker! I have no doubt that my acting at that point will look 100% effective!

What can you tell us about the plot?

Not a lot! (chuckles) Alex is your man for that information, but I doubt you'll get much from him. I know it's set in the apocalyptic wasteland and there is a revenge element with a masked killer on the loose. Is the killer a goodie or is he baddie?? I have my suspicions, but I couldn't tell you for sure so am pretty clueless really.

How have you found working on Follow The Crows?

As an actor, my work consisted of one very early morning rise for a shoot that lasted about six hours in total and I loved every minute. I love acting, I love a challenge, so to be involved made me very happy. I just wish my character had a longer shelf life. The experience was made all the more enjoyable as Alex and Mark (Starr, the producer) had assembled a friendly and professional team of quality filmmakers and make-up artists. The shoot was very well organized, with a thoughtful and considerate approach towards the cast and crew, right down to the little things that made all the difference. There was tea and coffee, snacks, breakfast, all of which was either prepared and/or paid for by the production. The set was wet and windy, which is always going to be a problem for filmmakers, but this made the perks even more gratefully received. It never felt like they wanted us to just turn up and do the work, it felt as if they really wanted to show their appreciation and therefore thought about how they would show their professional courtesy. I would love to work with these guys again and it looks as though I will be helping in future on set as a runner. I wish I could return as an actor, but just continuing to be a part of the production makes me happy, and I would like to show my appreciation for being given a part in the movie and I want to give extra back by assisting on future sets. Very much looking forward to seeing the rest of the production process and of course the final film when it is ready. I believe in these guys, their movie and their enthusiasm for what they want to achieve is infectious. I'm proud to be a part of Follow The Crows.

How would you survive a post apocalyptic wasteland?

A lot of running and a lot of hiding probably (chuckles) I would try to find a good crew to be a part of and, with all the arseholes out there trying to rob, rape and kill to get what they want, I would have to learn to be a bad ass pretty dam quickly!!! I would definitely join a group that continue to uphold some morals and values... In fact, I think I'd look for Rick, Daryl, Michonne...  Yeah, I'd have a pretty good chance of surviving then I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment