Thursday 21 January 2016

From the Producer: I AM GROOT!


Coming into this project you could not help but be excited, apprehensive and down right optimistic. Having acted before and helped out in a general manner when I could on other productions, this is/was the first project where I could wear the 'Producer,' hat

This meant that I had to do many of the things and be involved in situations where I am maybe not known best for. Planning and organizing. But these are skills I have none the less and I hope that the cast and crew can testify that they are not too bad after all. 
 
However, this was all put to the test during one windy, wet, muddy and miserable January weekend, when all planning, organizing and my unwavering optimism were tested to the maximum.

To coin a phrase from a very good movie, Guardians of the Galaxy, if you asked me how the weekend went? How did I feel? Would I do this again? The answer to all and any question will be, “I am Groot!” If you know the film reference you may have some idea where I am coming from, if not then I will try to explain. Groot, is a character who only utters those three words, exclusively in that order, in answer or reply to any spoken situation.

My job was to take the strain from everyone else, especially the director Alex Secker. Around us, the weather was making life difficult (in the filming sense). Technical issues, crew needing to leave and conditions under foot meant that we were thinking on our feet and in the end we had to concede to a delay. A delay involving a talented bunch, volunteering their time, coming back together, from different parts of the country for a night shoot, a cold one at that.

Now in situations like this, the producer (me) has to be the positive, argumentative, logical and the least emotional. Not easy when you are feeling all of those emotions. The director, naturally will want to soldier on, get the shot for the sake of continuity (film makers downfall) and beat any situation that faces them. But when it is time to admit defeat you must, I am Groot! Yet that defeat turned into a small blessing. The rescheduled night (thanks to some sterling determination from cast and crew) shots turned into something special. Even the fire was happy to be directed.

So how am I feeling about the future of this fantastic little film? I AM GROOOT!

No comments:

Post a Comment